I’ve realized two things since I’ve started my business:
- My business evolves and matures, and is differnet than what I thought it would be (and will probably be different in two years than what I can conceptualize right now).
- I have a lot of cool stuff that I can put a value on. Aside from JibberJobber, I have books, webinars and consulting. All of these are revenue stream opportunities.
Over the last few months I’ve been thinking a lot about revenue streams… or should I say opportunities? There are many things that make up the composition of “ideal” in my business:
- Automated. Has to be something that won’t require me to do any fulfillment. JibberJobber upgrades are one example. Book sales through my publisher is another example.
- Repeat value. I have to provide *stuff* that is valuable, or else I won’t feel good about hawking my warez. Is this stuff that helps people, or businesses (more of an emphasis on people)? Really?? If it’s just vapor-value, I don’t want to do it. Don’t want to worry about returns, complaints, and certainly not diminishing my brand.
- Complementary. I hear you can make good money selling stuff on ebay. Or getting into an MLM. Or flying a plane, or doing brain surgery. Okay, that’s extreme, but you get my point. I want to stay within a certain boundary of what I provide, produce, offer and sell. Would any of the people who buy one product be interested in another product, or other products, I have?
- Seizing the window (of opportunity). I hate to miss a window of opportunity, so the info has to be timely. LinkedIn is timely, so the book does well. What else is timely, and what might I be doing that isn’t timely?
- Not fad-based. Would have been nice to have gotten in on some fads, but really, I am not interested in producing a fad unless I can sell for a grundle of money. I want something with long-term, sustainable value.
Understand, I have my “product line.” I’m not looking for other mousetraps, or products, or services… I’m just thinking about how to better market my stuff.
Want to join me on the journey? Your welcome to – I’ll blog about it here!