Do you have a website? Y/N
If N… you can stop reading 🙂
If Y… do you have a favicon?
What, you ask, is a favicon? It is a little tiny icon that goes in the tab of the browser… look at this:
These are *some* of the tabs I have open right now… do you recognize any of the sites I am on?
- gmail, always in the first place
- a blog post that is hosted on blogger… something I liked and will blog about later.
- the third tab I’m on. Because I’m on this tab the favicon doesn’t show up.
- Looky looky…! A blank page. This is a BUSINESS’ S website… with NO favicon. See how it sticks out like a sore thumb? I can’t tell what it is until I click on it. IF YOU HAVE A WEBSITE, DO A FAVICON! IT IS EASY!
- Twitter… for a person I’m trying to network into.
- Google Calendar.
- VJC – my competition – they have a great blog post that I’m reading.
- blank page … I don’t know, and THEY miss a branding opportunity!
- Some association page.
- Southwest airlines as I get ready for some trips.
- KSL – local news.
- Twitter – another person I’m trying to network into.
- Huffington Post article about unemployment.
- blank page – I don’t know!
- Job-Hunt.org post on avoiding job boards that I need to read.
- A google search.
If YOUR page was open, would I see a blank page or a nice little favicon?
Here’s a search on favicon to help you get started. This can really take just a few minutes to do.
http://www.woodyoulike.co.uk has one for years 😉 (Pity it does not work on our blogs though, favicon of platform overrules it)
It also shows up in your bookmarks or favourites.
Plenty of free simple favicon creating software out there
Yet another branding opportunity missed by many.
@Van LOL – that sounds like something I would say – you beat me to it :p
I do have a favicon, and I have to give all the credit and thanks to Jacob Share of JobMob (http://jobmob.co.il) for it. When I got my current website last March, he noticed that a favicon was missing and made sure that I got something up there so I didn’t just have a blank page. I really appreciated it!
Van is definitely right — a favicon is an important part of branding.
if you look at the favicon at JasonAlba.com (this blog) you’ll see a very fun favicon… a little different than most… :p