I asked Wendy for some do’s and don’ts on book promotion – here’s a quick list:
- Be visible – at conferences, workshops, etc. – either as a speaker and/or an exhibitor.
- Set up an e-commerce site to sell your book online.
- Join many professional associations as a vehicle to increase your visibility and generate more book sales.
- Connect with “specialty” audiences that may be interested in your book (e.g., for my military resume book, I do a look of military job fairs).
- Write articles – paid or not – to increase visibility of you and the book.
- Send free copies to various search engines, websites, publications and more in anticipation of getting free press.
- Send a press release announcing your book (PRWeb.com is a great resource for this).
- Don’t waste your time doing book signings at bookstores. They rarely yield more than a bare handful of book sales.
- Don’t rely on the publisher to do all of the book marketing. They’re going to rely on you heavily to get the word out.