I got an e-mail today from a buddy in Texas:
I am glad to hear your business is doing well. I wish I had your skills to go out and start my own business, but I am too big of a chicken.
So here is my formula for “going out and starting your own business:
- Focus 150% on your career, give your life and time and thoughts to “the company.”
- Get laid off because of any lame reason.
- Work 60 hours a week looking for a job.
- Have a great looking resume that has some ghost problem (something that is a problem but you can’t find).
- Have an aha moment that is “wow, this would be really cool!!”
- Continue to not be able to get a job (much less a couple of interviews)
- Figure that going forward on your own business is going to be more fruitful than spinning the job search window (this was months into the job search)
- Being okay with giving up all of the corporate perks (steady paycheck, bonus, holidays, sick leave, “cheap” health insurance, etc.)
There you go. There’s my guts. Where are yours?